Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
Want to brew a great cup of coffee at house? There are plenty of computerized drip coffee makers that may do the trick. But if you wish to brew GREAT coffee at house, you need a brewer just like the Bonavita Connoisseur, one in all few licensed by the SCA to ship the best normal of coffee.
In this Bonavita Connoisseur overview, we’ll talk about what makes this machine worthy of that coveted certification — plus another particulars you’ll have to resolve if it’s the fitting coffee maker for you.
Summary: The Bonavita Connoisseur BV1901TS
- Certified by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) to ship high-quality coffee
- Great worth because of low worth, sturdy chrome steel building, and thermal carafe
- Super straightforward to make use of with one-touch operation and non-obligatory pre-infusion
This machine makes one of the best coffee we’ve got tasted. The carafe retains the brew a lot sizzling for my use with out having to preheat it.
– James Okay., Customer
This Bonavita 8-cup coffee maker overview is damaged down into 4 sections: design, options, ease of use, and worth. The scores offers you a tough concept of the professionals and cons of this mannequin, however we recommend you learn the entire thing for the essential particulars.
Design – 3.5/5
Bonavita coffee makers are all very related, with solely minor useful and aesthetic variations. The design of the Bonavita Connoisseur is basic and timeless. No cash has been wasted including fancy thrives, which we predict is a brilliant resolution by Bonavita. It won’t win any cool design awards, but it surely gained’t conflict with any decor both.
Both the outside and carafe of the Connoisseur are brushed chrome steel, a lovely and sturdy alternative.
All plastic parts, together with the water reservoir, filter basket, and lid, are all made out of sturdy BPA-free plastic. The design is a slight replace from earlier Bonavita iterations, like the BV1900TS. The form of the chrome steel carafe has been reworked, and the water reservoir is now a tinted plastic.
The Bonavita Connoisseur coffee maker has a surprisingly small footprint, measuring simply 6.8” vast by 12.4” lengthy by 12.2” tall. But understand that this mannequin will get a little bit steamy throughout brewing, so it wants some respiratory room.
Features – 3/5
The Bonavita Connoisseur isn’t programmable, so it doesn’t have a ton of options. But it does have a whole lot of functionality. As an SCA-certified house brewer, specialists have rigorously examined it to satisfy the SCA’s Golden Cup requirements for the last word brew (1).
What options enable it to satisfy this excessive bar?
First, this Bonavita maintains a brewing temperature within the vary of 198° to 205°F, which testing has proven is perfect for extracting coffee (2). It makes use of a strong 1500 Watt heating component, which permits it to warmth shortly and keep a steady brewing temperature. The brew time for a full pot is simply 6 minutes!
Second, it has an non-obligatory pre-infusion mode, designed to imitate the conduct of a talented barista. The pre-infusion function, also called the bloom, makes it simpler to totally extract your coffee. Blooming produces a extra flavorful brew, in accordance with the specialists at Driftaway Coffee (3).
Giving your coffee a half minute to bloom, relying on how not too long ago it was roasted, will improve its flavors.
The Bonavita Connoisseur coffee maker makes use of a showerhead model circulation into the brew basket as a substitute of the one stream of water you see in cheaper computerized drip coffee makers. This showerhead function, paired with the hanging flat-bottom filter basket, produces a extra even wetting of the grounds for higher extraction.
Many of one of the best drip coffee machines, the Bonavita Connoisseur included, use a thermal carafe reasonably than a glass carafe and sizzling plate, and that’s for a great motive. A pot of coffee sitting for a very long time on a sizzling plate inevitably finally ends up with a burnt and rancid style. The Connoisseur has a smaller capability than most, simply 8-cups. This helps maintain the machine compact however may very well be an obstacle for heavy coffee drinkers.
Ease of Use – 4/5
The Bonavita Connoisseur is tremendous straightforward to make use of, partly due to its lack of programmability. It is a one-touch coffee maker. As lengthy because it has water within the water tank and coffee grounds within the filter basket, you simply flip it on and await your cup of coffee. A toddler might do it.
That mentioned, some programmability may enhance the person expertise.
It could be nice if Bonavita offered the choice to brew on a timer or set the brewing temperature.
Some customers have complained in regards to the design of the carafe on this drip coffee maker. You have to take away the carafe lid for the brewing course of after which screw it again on after the brew cycle. This feels a bit cumbersome.
Value for Money – 4.5/5
The worth for cash right here is great. Because the Bonavita Connoisseur has few options, it’s one of many least costly SCA-certified brewers. This is very spectacular for a coffee machine with a thermal carafe! It’s lower than half the worth of other SCAA-certified coffee makers just like the well-known Breville Precision Brewer and Technivorm Moccamaster.
Its chrome steel building and carafe make it extremely sturdy, as does its easy operation. There is little to interrupt or go mistaken so to anticipate a whole lot of years of fantastic coffee for a minimal preliminary funding.
- You need extra programming choices: If you favor extra choices to the comfort of one-touch brewing, there are many programmable drip coffee makers to satisfy your wants — and a few are even SCA licensed. Consider the OXO On or the Ninja Specialty Coffee Maker CM407, which nonetheless has thermal carafes.
- You wish to brew extra coffee: If the 8-cup capability of the Bonavita Connoisseur is a deal-breaker, you’ll be relieved to listen to the vast majority of machines have a 10-cup capability. But if you happen to and yours really want a boatload of caffeine to start out the day, you’ll love the Cuisinart DCC-3200. It’s a totally programmable drip coffee maker with a large 14-cup capability.
- You don’t care in regards to the SCA requirements: SCA-certified brewers are nice as a result of they assure one of the best cup of coffee as outlined by skilled coffee tasters. But if you happen to’re not an skilled coffee taster and simply need an inexpensive approach to get pleasure from a morning brew, there are many cheaper brewers for you. Popular choices embody the Hamilton Beach 46310, the Cuisinart DCC-1200, or perhaps a primary Mr. Coffee 12-Cup brewer.
Do you need coffee so scrumptious that it has really been licensed by the Specialty Coffee Association? Do you need it from a brewer that gained’t break the financial institution? Do you need it on the contact of a button? If you answered sure to the entire above, then you definitely need the Bonavita Connoisseur coffee maker. This coffee brewer impressed us with its pre-infusion function, basic model, sturdiness, and unbelievable worth.
- Specialty Coffee Association. (2021). SCA Certified Home Brewer Program. Retrieved from https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
- Ospina, A.Okay.M. (2018, October 11). How Does Elevation Affect Your Ideal Coffee Brew Temperature. Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2018/10/how-does-elevation-affect-your-ideal-coffee-brew-temperature/
- Driftaway Coffee. (2015, February 9). What Is The Bloom And How Does It Affect Taste? Retrieved from https://driftaway.coffee/bloom/