Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
Looking for a refreshing new caffeinated summer season drink that’s somewhat extra thrilling than the typical chilly brew? We have the reply! It’s Fat Americano. Ta-daa.
It pairs wealthy espresso with candy, glowing Coca-Cola for a taste that’s really extra subtle than you’d guess! Keep studying to learn to whip up this enjoyable new tackle the Americano.
WHAT YOU NEED
- A double shot of espresso
- Coffee beans
- Tall glass filled with ice
- 12 ounce can of Coca-Cola
AT A GLANCE
Just a few notes:
- You Can Use Whatever Coffee Beans You Enjoy For The Espresso, But Usually Darker Roasts With A Classic Coffee Flavor Profile Of Nuts, Caramel, And Bittersweet Chocolate Pair Best With Coke. If You Need A Suggestion, Click Here For Our Top Picks For Espresso Beans.
- Coca-Cola Classic Is The Standard Choice Here, But It’s Not Mandatory. If You Prefer Pepsi Or Diet Coke, They Offer A Similar Enough Flavor Profile.
How to Make a Fat Americano
As lengthy as you may make espresso, making a Fat Americano is a chunk of cake. Plus, it’s properly definitely worth the effort, in accordance with skilled tasters (1).
It’s a sizzling day, you need one thing chilly and refreshing. You need one thing candy, spicy, and filled with punch.
So let’s stroll by the recipe step-by-step.
Step 1: Prepare the Espresso
Prepare a double shot utilizing an espresso machine. We gained’t undergo the main points on this recipe, so when you want some steerage for this step, try our article on the way to pull a shot of espresso.
With many milky drinks, you may get away with utilizing espresso nearer to robust coffee, like what you may make with an Aeropress, Moka Pot, or Nespresso machine.
But, on this case, we suggest utilizing a machine that may hit 9 bars of strain for true espresso.
The heavy physique and creamy mouthfeel are essential to holding up in opposition to carbonated cola.
Step 2: Assemble Your Fat Americano
Fill a tall glass with ice, pour in a can of Coca-Cola, then add the double shot on high. As with making a standard Americano, the order issues. By including the coffee final, you protect the crema on the highest of the drink.
Pro Tip: Adding the nonetheless heat espresso threatens to spoil the refreshing nature of this drink, so ensure that every part else is as chilly as doable. Keep glasses chilled within the freezer, and don’t pull the Coke out of the fridge till the final minute.
Step 3: Don’t Be Afraid to Get Creative
You’re already including coffee to Coke, so there’s no cause to shrink back from breaking with custom right here. Feel free to get artistic!
An simple variation is so as to add a splash of condensed milk, which is a more sensible choice than common milk for giving this drink a creamy physique and milky style.
You also can mess around along with your selection of coffee beans and soda. Try a style check utilizing vanilla or cherry coke, and even root beer (2). Coffee with orange juice is already a well known drink, so why not check out an orange soda?
Pro Tip: If you’re delicate to caffeine, beware as a result of this drink packs a critical punch. To keep away from a foul case of the jitters, take into account swapping in decaf soda or decaf coffee, or each.
If you’re in search of a refreshing new technique to get caffeinated on a sizzling July day this summer season, give the Fat Americano a attempt! It may sound like a joke, however we promise you’ll be pleasantly stunned by the pairing of wealthy, chocolatey espresso with candy, clean Coca-Cola.
What is an actual Americano?
A real Americano is espresso poured over sizzling water. According to lore, it was invented in Italy by American troopers in WWII who discovered the standard Italian espresso too robust. Try one for your self utilizing our information on how to make an Americano.
What is the distinction between an Americano vs brewed coffee?
The distinction between an Americano vs brewed coffee is that the previous makes use of espresso mixed with sizzling water. In distinction, the latter depends on a slower brewing technique the place the recent water extracts the bottom coffee.
How a lot caffeine is within the Fat Americano?
The quantity of caffeine in a Fat Americano varies relying in your selection of coffee and cola. But as a tough estimate, a double shot of espresso has about 80 mg, and Coke’s can has 30 mg. So a Fat Americano has round 110 mg of caffeine (3).
- Sprudge Staff. (2014, June 2). Fat Americano: Korean Cafe Pairs Coca-Cola With Espresso For An Icy Summer Drink. Retrieved from https://sprudge.com/sprudge-drinks-recipe-fat-americano-alex-coffee-korea-56798.html
- Castellano, N. (2020, September 15). Comparing Soft Drink and Coffee Consumption. Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2020/09/comparing-soft-drink-and-coffee-consumption/
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2020, February 29). Caffeine content material for coffee, tea, soda and extra. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372